This soup tastes just like stuffed peppers but is so much easier and cheaper. The recipe can be easily halved or doubled. If you likes stuffed peppers you will LOVE this soup.
Unstuffed Pepper Soup
· 1 ½ pounds of ground beef
· 3 large green peppers, chopped
· large onion, chopped
· cans (14 ½ ounces each) beef broth
· cans (10 ¾ ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
· can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
· can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
· 1 ½ cups cooked rice
· In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook the beef, green peppers, and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the broth, soup, tomatoes and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rice and heat through.
YIELD: 10 servings
Source: Taste of Home Heartwarming Soups Evelyn Kara, Brownsville PA