It is so cold and if you are like me you have had enough of winter! Here is a little something to warm your heart and soul. This soup is “souper” easy , “souper” tasty, and “souper” easy on the budget.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Makes 4 to 6 servings
· 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
· 2 cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
· can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
· yellow onion, diced
· cloves garlic, minced
· ½ to 1 cup chicken broth
· teaspoon cumin
· Salt and black pepper, to taste
· corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
· tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
· ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
· avocado, seeded, peeled, diced and tossed with lime juice to prevent browning
· Lime wedges
· Place chicken in CROCK-POT. Combine tomatoes with juice, chilies, onion, garlic, ½ cup chicken broth and cumin in small bowl. Pour mixture over chicken. Cover; cook on HIGH 3 hours, or until chicken it tender.
· Remove chicken from CROCK-POT. Shred with 2 forks. Return to cooking liquid. Adjust seasonings, adding more broth if necessary.
· Just before serving, add tortillas and cilantro to CROCK-POT. Stir to blend. Serve in soup bowls, topping each serving with cheese, avocado and a squeeze of lime juice.
Source: Best Loved CROCK-POT Recipes