For me mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food and I often make them for my many visiting “kids”. I have yet to find one that can eat more of my mashed potatoes than Germie (aka Aaron Germann) with a very close second going to Hayley Wihlon. So I am dedicating this recipe to you two, for all the fights that have ensued over which one of you would get the most….and for all your wondering minds….it was always Germie J.
Mashed Potatoes Mama Withrow’s Way
· 3 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled (if desired) and cut into large chunks
· 1 teaspoon sea salt
· 4 tablespoons butter
· 3 ounces low-fat cream cheese
· ¼ cup milk
· Salt & pepper to taste
· Peel potatoes if desired, if not just wash them well.
· Cut potatoes into large chunks, place in a Dutch oven, add salt, and enough water just to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, simmer 15 minutes or until just tender. DO NOT OVER COOK!
· While potatoes are cooking cut the butter and cream cheese into chunks and place into a glass bowl along with the milk. Microwave 2 minutes at 50% power or until warm.
· Drain potatoes well, return to pan or a large mixing bowl, add warmed butter, cream cheese, and milk. Mix with electric mixer or potato masher just until blended. DO NOT OVERMIX, or potatoes will become gummy.
· Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper if needed.
· Serve warm.
· Potatoes vary in amount of moisture so you may need to adjust by adding more or less milk.
· I like my mashed potatoes nice and thick, again if you like yours thinner add a little more milk or butter.
· Add, cheese, chives, bacon, herbs, or whatever you like right before mashing.