This is one of my families favorite comfort food dishes. I like it because I can get lots of other things done while it simmers. You can do it in a crock pot but I find the flavor to be much better when slow cooked on the stove. It allows the liquids to evaporate and the flavors to intensify. I often use the leftovers to make beef stew or beef vegetable soup…you have to love a “two-fer” dish.
Beef Roast ala Crystal
· 1 (3-4lb) beef roast trimmed of extra fat (I like to use sirloin roast)
· 2 teaspoons of canola oil
· 1 tablespoon of steak seasoning, divided (I use McCormick Perfect Pinch Steak Seasoning)
· 1 medium onion, diced
· 1 rib of celery, diced
· 1 (14 oz) can of beef broth
· 2 lbs of baby carrots or regular carrots peeled and cut into chunks
· 3 lbs of potatoes cut into 3 in chunks (I use new red or Yukon gold they just need to be scrubbed no peeling required)
· Cut beef into 3 to 4 inch chunks
· In a large Dutch oven heat oil over high heat until hot but not smoking. Brown chunks of meat in batches until browned on all sides.
· Remove meat, lower heat to medium and add onion and celery. Cook stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes. Add beef broth, fill the can with water and add to the pot, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 2-3 hours or until meat is tender
· Add carrots to pot, and sprinkle with half of remaining steak seasoning.
· Add potatoes to pot, and sprinkle with remaining steak seasoning.
· Increase heat to high, bringing to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low cover and cook until potatoes and carrots are tender about 35 minutes.
· I sometimes like to cut a small head of cabbage into quarters and place on top of potatoes.
· You can also top the potatoes with corn on the cob.
· Use leftovers to make beef stew or beef veggie soup
· You can do this in the crockpot but I find the flavor is not quite as good and you need to omit the can of water. Just brown the beef, add onion & celery making sure to use the broth to deglaze the pan, so you get all the browned goodness taste.
· I like to serve it with sliced tomatoes and sliced fresh hot banana peppers, yummy!
· Half the recipe if you have a small family or don’t want leftovers for day two.