Monday, November 18, 2013

Basil Pesto

Basil Pesto

I found this recipe on Pinterest and fell in L.O.V.E with it.  It is from Natasha’s Kitchen and here is the link http://natashaskitchen.com/2011/08/03/basil-pesto-recipe/    I am going to check out her site and try some more of her recipes and so should you!
 
 

 

Ingredients

·         1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed

·         1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

·         1/4 cup olive oil (extra virgin is best)

·         1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts

·         1 large or 2 small garlic cloves

·         1/8 cup lemon juice or juice of 1 lemon

·         1/4 tsp salt

·         1/8 tsp pepper

Instructions

1.    Wash and dry the basil leaves.

2.    Place basil into a food processor, add cheese, nuts, garlic cloves, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.

3.    Process until smooth.

 

HINTS:  from Crystal.  I make a quadruple batch at a time, all summer long when I have copious amounts of gorgeous basil in my humble little container garden.  What we don’t use right away I freeze in silicone ice cube trays that hold one tablespoon per cube.  I double wrap it super tight in plastic wrap and pop it in the freezer.  Make sure it is completely wrapped you do not want everything in your freezer tasting of pesto ;).  When it is frozen I pop it in labeled zip top heavy duty bags.  Now I can pop out exactly what I need when I need it and no waste!  NOTE:  I have read that you should not add the cheese before freezing but to date I have not had any issues at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment