I know it is the New Year and everyone is on the health bandwagon, so here is a lightened version of Red Velvet Cupcakes. My family didn’t even notice that they have less calories and fat; all they noticed was how tasty they are. So when you need a little something sweet these should fit the bill nicely.
Red Velvet Cupcakes
10 ounces cake flour (about 2 ½ cups)
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 ¼ cups nonfat buttermilk
1 ½ teaspoons white vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons red food coloring (about 1 ounce)
5 tablespoons butter, softened
4 teaspoons nonfat buttermilk
1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, softened
3 ½ cups powdered sugar (about 1 pound)
1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. To prepare the cupcakes, place 30 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups; coat with cooking spray.
3. Weigh or lightly spoon cake flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine cake flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Place granulated sugar and unsalted butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and 1 ¼ cups nonfat buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add white vinegar, 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla, and food coloring; beat well.
4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire racks.
5. To prepare frosting, beat 5 tablespoons butter, 4 teaspoons nonfat buttermilk, and cream cheese with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat until smooth. Add 1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla; beat well. Spread frosting evenly over cupcakes.
YIELD: 30 cupcakes (serving size:1 cupcake)
CAL 205; FAT 7.3 ; PRO 2.3g; FIBER 0.3g; CHOL 34mg; FIBER 0.3g
· Just follow the directions J
· Make sure cupcakes are completely cool before frosting
· Store leftovers (if any) in refrigerator
Source: Cooking Light Magazine